So here’s how to make your own:
6 Lemons skins peeled (and juice of 2 of those lemons)
1 litre of the 98% proof alcohol (the finished product will be the same strength as vodka, if you would like it half strength replace the 98% with normal vodka)
1 kg of granulated sugar
1 litre of water
- Peel the lemons and place in a large container then add some juice from 2 of the lemons.
- Poor the 98% proof booze over the top, seal the container and leave to 4 weeks, shaking/ mixing occasionally.
- Pass to liquid through a sieve to remove the lemon rind.
- Boil the water and add the sugar to make a syrup.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes and add to the lemon liquid.
And there you have it, delicious and authentic Italian lemoncello. Next time use limes or mandarins to mix things up a little! I Made up the labels in photoshop, but you could just as easily handwrite a cute tag to hang off the ribbon.
Bottle and store in the freezer, remember to serve ice cold.