Thursday, January 20, 2011

When life gives you lemons, make lemoncello!

This sweet and tangy lemon liquor goes down a treat in the summer months. Making up a batch is breeze and can make gorgeous gifts. Here are some I made for Christmas complete with my own homemade labels (cute or what?!)

So here’s how to make your own:

INGREDIENTS
6 Lemons skins peeled (and juice of 2 of those lemons)
1 litre of the 98% proof alcohol (the finished product will be the same strength as vodka, if you would like it half strength replace the 98% with normal vodka)
1 kg of granulated sugar
1 litre of water

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Peel the lemons and place in a large container then add some juice from 2 of the lemons.
  2. Poor the 98% proof booze over the top, seal the container and leave to 4 weeks, shaking/ mixing occasionally.
  3. Pass to liquid through a sieve to remove the lemon rind.
  4. Boil the water and add the sugar to make a syrup.
  5. Cool for 15-20 minutes and add to the lemon liquid.



And there you have it, delicious and authentic Italian lemoncello. Next time use limes or mandarins to mix things up a little! I Made up the labels in photoshop, but you could just as easily handwrite a cute tag to hang off the ribbon.


Bottle and store in the freezer, remember to serve ice cold.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miss H!

    I love reading your blog - I love all the homemade ideas. Looks like I will need to learn how to use photoshop - your lables are beautiful.

    I love the wedding photos you have shared on your blog so far - is there any chance you would share how you planned your wedding? What you did to make it personal? I'm really struggling with some of my planning (choosing a photographer at the moment!) and would love any hints and tips. Your wedding looked very special.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm still getting my head around the photography side of things.

    Good suggestion with the wedding planning idea :)

    ReplyDelete